The SEO field has evolved over the past few years as companies try to keep up with Google’s ever-changing algorithm updates. One thing has become clear with the changes, social media marketing goes hand in hand with SEO.
According to the State of Search Marketing Report 2013, 74% of companies and 82% of agencies have either somewhat or highly integrated social media marketing into their SEO strategy.
Neil Patel, a digital marketing guru, believes that social is the new SEO. So how exactly does social media marketing help improve SEO? Let’s take a quick look:
1. Social Media Promotes Social Sharing
Social media platforms are great for increasing social shares, especially if you want your content to go viral.
The more your content is shared, the greater your chances of having a higher ranking on search engines. People will get interested in what is being shared and search for it increasing your ranking.
Keep in mind, however, that the only way people will actually share your content is if it resonates with them and if it’s appealing and attractive.
2. Social Media Turns Followers to Website Traffic
Sharing your web/blog content on your social media platforms is a great way of driving traffic to your website.
To branch out your traffic base and grow the number of website visitors you receive from social media networks, consider the following actions:
- Add a direct call to action to your audience at the end of each blog post or email newsletter to encourage them to share your content on their social media networking profiles if they’ve found them useful.
- Brand yourself using social media as an authority figure within your industry.
- Include prominent social sharing buttons at both the top and bottom of each blog post on your website. You could also use a scrolling option that moves the page down alongside your readers.
3. Social Media Marketing Encourages Backlinks Building
High-quality backlinks are one of the factors that social engines consider when ranking your website. Social networking platforms are a great place to form backlinks to your website.
Try the following actions if you frequently use Facebook and Twitter to encourage the creation of these valuable links and increase the value of your social media marketing:
- Build your networks on Facebook and Twitter, as more users result in more possibilities for link shares.
- Tie your blog to your Facebook and Twitter accounts to get a link to each of your new posts automatically created on your profile.
- To reach users who are active on social media at different times, use an update scheduling tool like Buffer to create repeat announcements of new blog posts.
4. Social Media Networks are Search Engines Too
Almost every social media platform from Facebook to Twitter to Instagram has the search button. People use these to look for people, things or brands. Companies should, therefore, expand their concept of SEO to include not just the traditional search engines such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo, but also social media search engines.
Uniquely identify yourself on the platforms to avoid people being confused by duplicate accounts and have social media marketing for your company a success.
5. Social Media Promotes Local SEO
One of the main reasons why you want to get started with content marketing, I believe, is because you want to reach out to your local market. Local SEO helps you target your local community effectively.
When it comes to social media marketing, your major fans are more likely to be your local community. Having updates on social media that appeal to your local audience will go a long way in improving local SEO.
6. Social Media Profiles Rank in Search Engines
Your social media profiles matter to those who are looking for you online and definitely affect search results. Have your social media profiles tell your story in a fun and interesting way.
Keep your social media profile with up-to-date information and engaging content to make it easier for you to be found online, to make it easier for those searching for you and to ease social media marketing for your company.
Succeeding in SEO is a big step in increasing your online presence making it easy for your perfect customer to find you, which then translates to increased sales. Every effort you put in improving search engine ranking will be well worth it.
Not sure how to get started with SEO? Check out my post SEO: What NOT to Do If You Want to Get it Right for some awesome tips.
How else do you think social media affects SEO? Share with us in the comments section!
Hi there and thank you for stopping by! My name is Stella and I am the face behind the blog, a proud mum to @emileetaraji (I swear she writes the captions herself 😆 ) and a full-time copywriter and Digital Marketing expert who has been helping businesses execute successful digital marketing strategies for over a decade. Let’s keep in touch!